An executive coaching client suggested that “everything in her company is in disarray and nothing is getting accomplished.” As I began questioning her, it was easy to understand why. Current projects for this organization include:
- Restructuring a large department while finding a new leader for it
- Opening two new branches in different towns.
- Acquiring another company
- A major remodeling project at headquarters
- Preparing for a major bi-annual meeting to be held in four months
- Putting together a succession plan in anticipation of the CEO’s retirement in a few years
Not only are there several major projects in the works, the CEO often loses track of what he has told his team, who is to do what, and how much progress has been accomplished on each project. In fact, on one of the new branch openings, three people had three different opening dates as their goal.